Wizards Unite: Facts and summary of everything we know so far

I have put together this post to share everything I have gathered while researching Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. I will be updating this post as I find more.

HARRY POTTER: WIZARDS UNITE

PUBLISHED BY Niantic, Inc.

Co-Devoloped by Niantic, Inc and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, under the Portkey Games label. With the franchise expertise of WB Games San Fransisco. ¹

Announced November 8ᵀʰ 2017

“Niantic and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announce the development of " Harry Potter: Wizards Unite,” an augmented Reality (AR) mobile game inspired by J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World" ¹

“Wands at the ready! Explore the wizarding world with @HPWizardsUnite a new augmented reality adventure coming to mobile #WizardsUnite go.wbgames.com/HPWardsUnite²

“New augmented reality mobile game Harry Potter: Wizards Unite announced” ³

"We’re thrilled to partner with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and WB Games San Francisco’s development team to bring this magical and beloved series to life in a brands new way"

Trademark information

• Harry Potter: Wizards Unite is owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
  • Filed - Nov 8 2017
  • Date of Publication - October 9th 2018 (This date is not the date the game will be published, but the date that the trade mark will be added to the official gazette.)

There are two trade marks one for a trademark for education, training, and sports and entertainment services and the other nautical, scientific, surveying, cinematographic, photographic, measuring, signaling, and weighing devices.

What we know about Wizards Unite release date

“We plan to release the game at the end of this year, but this is the only thing I can reveal at this moment.”

Q (Tom Philips)“Could release this year, but could release next?”
A (John Hanke) “Mmhmm”

Q (u/xCloudChaserx) “Is there any indication on the status of Harry Potter Wizards Unite? I feel like I heard it was coming soon then went quiet.”
A (BillyK_NeverLost) “It’s coming soon…”

Possible Game Mechanics

• “Augmented Reality”, “discover mysterious artifacts”, “learn to cast spells”, “encounter legendary beasts”, “iconic characters”

• "Build up your very own illustrious wizarding career"³

• “Fight legendary beasts and team up with others to take down powerful enemies”

• “[…] Niantic platform while also providing an opportunity to pioneer all new technology and game play mechanics”

Interesting, but speculative information

Everything after this point has not been stated by an official source or said to affect Harry Potter: Wizzards Unite directly.

Niantic acquisitions

• Niatic Inc. this year have acquired Matrix Mill, who focus on computer vision, machine learning, development of neural networks. Things that will be useful in creating AI (artificial intelligence) and AR.

• Niantic also acquired Seismic Games the developer behind Marvel Strile Force a turn-based role-playing mobile game for Android and iOS platforms, and Blade Runner: Revelations is a new VR game for the google daydream platform.

• Niantic acquired a 3rd company Escher Reality who builds some of the most advanced backend services for cross-platform mobile AR so users can interact with each other and objects in the environment.

These three acquisitions including some of niantics proof of concept projects have me pretty excited

Niantics Proof of Concept Projects

Codename: Niantic AR Occlusion tech

Features object occlusion in AR space by using Niantic’s proprietary technology. Part of their Real World platform

(Select image to watch video)
Niantic AR Occlusion tech

Codename: Neon

Features shared AR multiplayer experience with combat reminiscent of spell casting / orb weaving.

Neon

Codename: Tonehenge

AR puzzle that uses player cooperation and physical interaction to move elements of the game.

Tonehenge

Reference links

Well, I’ll be damned, I guess this mandates a new Category on the Central: Research Plus added some formatting. Awesome work!

@wizardsunitehub It almost seems as if they started strong and ended up weak with their release comments. The release is important, yes, but the other little hints and statements is also important.

At the moment all Niantic games has got the functionality as mentioned above.

As for the other implementations… This will only make the game more realistic and interactive.