As we all know, all Niantic games feature a faction system that fuels the conflict between players. Ingress has Enlightened and Resistance and Pokemon GO has three teams, which leads us to believe that Wizards Unite will also feature a faction system.
However, as it’s a worldwide game, having Hogwarts houses as factions is rather weird, as J.K. Rowling clearly outlined which wizarding school governs over which part of the world. The 8 schools are:
- Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Scotland)
- Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (France)
- Castelobruxo (Central Brazil)
- Durmstrang Institute (Northern Europe)
- Ilvermorny (Eastern North America)
- Mahoutokoro School of Magic (Japan)
- Uagadou School of Magic (Uganda)
- Koldovstoretz (Russia) – Not on the map
Map (small, click here for big version):
The school placement roughly covers the majority of the world, with the exception of Australia and central Asia. Europe has too many schools and the number of schools is also pretty high, which leads us to believe that the schools are not ideal for a faction system. I guess most players will only recognize the schools that took place in the Triwizard tournament, especially if they didn’t read Pottermore, so it seems like they will be out of the question.
On the other hand, the four Hogwarts houses are iconic, but they are strictly tied into Hogwarts and some of them have a bad reputation (Slytherin) on the merit of plot and characters.
What are your thoughts on the matter? Schools, houses, or something else?